This Sourdough Candy Potato Onion Loaf is made with roasted purple candy potato and loaded with caramelized onions. It’s a high-hydration dough, which means it’s very moist to work with, however the finish result’s a moist and onion-y flavored loaf.
Elizabeth, from Weblog from OUR Kitchen, selected the Candy Potato Onion Bread, also referred to as Elbow-Lick Bread, from Vivian Howard’s e-book, Deep Run Roots, because the bread of the month.
In case you are questioning what on the earth Elbow-Lick Bread is, here’s what the writer has to say about it:
These things is special-chewy with deep taste and a darkish crust. If you’d like a sandwich that may make you cry tears of pleasure, make the Elbow-Lick Tomato Sandwich
– Vivian Howard, Deep Run Roots | Chapter 14: Candy Potatoes, Candy Potato Onion Bread, p321
I knew this was it-the bread, the mayo, even the halfhearted tomatoes. I scarfed that sandwich down like a wild animal. Tomato juice mingled with smoked mayo and vinegary onions dripped down my arm all the best way to my elbow. I licked my arms and did my greatest to lick my elbow. Licked the palm of my hand and imagined how unimaginable it will be with juicy, ripe Cherokee Purples.
– Vivian Howard, Deep Run Roots | Chapter 12: Tomatoes, Elbow-Lick Tomato Sandwich, p260
I’ll be trustworthy, though I grew up within the South (and nonetheless stay right here), I’ve by no means been a fan of tomato sandwiches or mayonnaise so the thought of getting tomato juice combined with mayo dripping down my chin isn’t a picture that appeals to me (though Vivian wears the look very properly, I need to say).
So overlook the tomato and mayo sandwich, give me candy potatoes and caramelized onions, and tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Or simply bread with soup and I’m good to go.
I wish to assume my loaf has the components, principally, of the elbow-lick bread, however the appeal and attraction of an artisan loaf.
As normal, I made modifications to the tailored recipe:
I used purple candy potatoes as an alternative of orange candy potatoes as a result of a reader commented on one among my breads final month and requested me what sort of candy potato was one of the best to make use of. I had solely used orange ones up till that time, however I assumed utilizing a purple one appeared like an awesome concept and one I wanted to attempt. So once I noticed a bag of purple potatoes at Dealer Joes, I grabbed it.
I really like the chest-nutty taste of the purple candy potatoes, and once you roast them utilizing Vivian’s technique, they’re over-the-top scrumptious. These could also be my new favourite candy potatoes. They made the dough actually fluffy.
I additionally used a rye levain quite than entire wheat (as Elizabeth’s tailored recipe under suggests), primarily as a result of I might. Not likely positive why, however the concept hit me, and I went with it. I additionally added somewhat little bit of emmer to the ultimate dough for good measure.
As I discussed earlier, the hydration was actually excessive so I selected so as to add further flour to the dough. After letting it proof on the counter for about four hours (with a stretch and fold each hour), it nonetheless wasn’t developed so I gave it an in a single day chilly ferment within the fridge.
The subsequent morning, I formed the dough right into a boule and positioned it in a proofing basket, and let if proof on the counter for 2 hours, then positioned it again within the fridge for five hours.
When it was time to bake the loaf, I used the finger poke technique to check if it was sufficiently proofed, and the indention got here again very slowly which informed me it was proofed sufficiently.
I baked it as I usually bake artisan loaves in my Bread Cloche, by preheating the cloche to 450 for no less than 45 minutes, then baking the loaf 25-30 minutes with the lid on and 15-20 minutes with the lid off.
The loaf appeared nice once I eliminated it from the oven, however to my dismay, it had a gummy line on the backside once I sliced it.
After performing some digging, I discovered a couple of issues which may trigger a gummy line in a loaf:
- Underneath proofed dough – mine wasn’t underneath proofed so I marked that off the listing
- Not adequately formed – I formed it the best way I usually achieve this I don’t assume this was the issue; nevertheless, you by no means know
- Uneven warmth – I consider this was my challenge as a result of the remainder of the loaf baked rather well. The remainder of the loaf was moist however not gummy. I’ve since decided there was a slight hole within the bread cloche once I positioned it on the bottom so this could possibly be what stored it from heating evenly though I haven’t had this situation with different loaves. I might want to check some extra to know for positive.
- Baking time – I additionally assume it wanted to bake about 5-10 minutes longer with the lid on so that could be the difficulty – once more, this can require further testing.
- Slicing loaf too quickly – I may even admit that I minimize this bread earlier than it was cooled utterly – in order that I might get the crumb shot. Oops!
It’ll require extra testing to know for positive whether or not it’s the cloche, the baking time, slicing it too quickly, and/or too many onions that gave it the gummy line on the backside. Nevertheless, I do know that once I make it once more, I plan to scale back the quantity of onions or allow them to caramelize longer in order that they don’t contribute an excessive amount of moisture.
Despite the fact that it had a gummy line on the backside, I nonetheless loved this bread with – you guessed it – tomato soup.
Sourdough Candy Potato and Caramelized Onion Loaf
based mostly on the recipe for Candy Potato Onion Bread in “Deep Run Roots” by Vivian Howard
Makes: 1 loaf
- spoonful (10ml or so) lively pure wheat starter at 100% hydration (OR zero.5gm (1/eight tsp) lively dry yeast)
- 60 grams (60ml) water, physique temperature
- 60 grams (118ml) 100% entire wheat or rye flour
- Approx. 1 five-inch-long orange candy potato (I used a purple candy potato)
- 375 grams (2.5 giant) onions, diced
- 7 grams (1.5 tsp) olive oil
- Three grams Kosher salt (zero.5 tsp desk salt)
- 300 grams all-purpose flour + 50-100 grams further for sprinkling
- 40 grams entire wheat emmer flour
- 200 grams (200ml) water at physique temperature
- All the Starter from above
- 7 grams (5 ml) honey
- 9 grams Kosher salt (1.5 tsp desk salt)
- 128 grams (120ml) roasted candy potato puree
- All the caramelized onions from above
- Bran, for sprinkling on the loaf whereas proofing within the basket
- leavener – IN THE EVENING OF THE DAY BEFORE MAKING THE BREAD: Put the starter (or lively dry yeast, when you’re utilizing that) and water right into a smallish bowl. Combine with a picket spoon. Use the picket spoon to stir the flour in nicely. Cowl the bowl with a plate and put aside in a single day within the oven with solely the sunshine turned on.
- candy potato – IN THE EVENING OF THE DAY BEFORE MAKING THE BREAD: Preheat oven to 400 F. Reduce the ends off of the candy potato and place it entire on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake till tender. This could take about 45 minutes. Vivian Howard wrote the next:
When you begin to odor them, in all probability after about 45 minutes, give the potatoes a glance. My mother all the time seemed for a bit of their juice to have leached out and caramelized, however that’s extra romantic than needed. When the potatoes are finished, their skins ought to have separated barely from their flesh and they need to pierce simply with a knife or fork.
Slice the baked candy potato in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out right into a bowl. Mash properly. Cowl the bowl with a plate and put aside in a cool place till the subsequent morning.
- onions – IN THE EVENING OF THE DAY BEFORE MAKING THE BREAD: Warmth oil for onions in a forged iron pan. Add the onions and salt and caramelize the onions over medium warmth till they’re golden brown. Vivian Howard says it will take 30-40 minutes. Put aside in a cool place till the subsequent morning.
- combine the dough – IN THE MORNING OF THE DAY YOU WILL BE MAKING THE BREAD: When a small forkful of the leavener floats in a small bowl of room temperature water, you possibly can go forward and blend the dough. If the leavener doesn’t float, stir in just a little extra entire wheat (or rye) flour and water – even quantities by weight – cowl with a plate and depart for about 30 minutes extra. Likelihood is that it’ll now float. (If in case you have used lively dry yeast, you possibly can safely skip the floating check.) Put flour, wheat germ, all however 18ml water, leavener, honey, candy potato puree into a big mixing bowl. Use a picket spoon or dough whisk to combine these components to make a tough dough. Cowl the bowl with a plate and depart on the counter for about 40 minutes.
- including the salt – Pour the salt over the dough.
- kneading – Use one in every of your arms to include the salt into the dough; use the opposite hand to regular the bowl – this manner you all the time have a clear hand. At first the dough could be a bit messy and look like it’s coming aside. Persevere. Out of the blue, it should appear extra like dough than a horrible separated glop. Hold folding it over onto itself till it’s comparatively clean. Cowl with a plate and depart to relaxation for about 20 minutes.
- stretching and folding the dough and including the onions – Put 1 / 4 of onions on prime of the dough and switch it by folding the dough into the middle. Let sit 20 minutes. Repeat at 20 minute intervals till all of the onions are within the dough. You’ll discover that after every time, the dough will really feel considerably smoother. Cowl with a plate and depart on the counter (or if the kitchen is cool, into the oven with solely the sunshine turned on). As soon as all of the onions are added, depart the coated bowl within the oven – with solely the sunshine turned on – for a few hours to permit the dough to double. (A great way to inform if the dough is able to form is to run your index finger beneath water, then poke a gap within the middle of the dough. If the opening disappears instantly, the dough nonetheless have to rise. If there’s a slight whooshing sound and the opening stays in place, the dough has in all probability over-risen. If the opening very steadily begins to shut, the dough is able to form.
- put together the brot-form – Put rice flour or a 50/50 mixture of rice flour/all-purpose flour right into a brotform (proofing basket) and distribute it as evenly as attainable. (In case you don’t have a brot-form, you’ll be able to line a bowl, basket or sieve with parchment paper. It’s also possible to use a liberally rice-floured tea towel. In the event you shouldn’t have rice flour, you need to use some other sort of flour.
- pre-shaping – Scatter a dusting of flour in your work floor and gently place the dough on the flour. Utilizing moist palms, stretch the dough right into a longish rectangle, then fold it like a letter, gently patting off any additional flour that may be there. Proceed folding till the dough is formed in a ball. Cowl with a clear tea towel and let the ball relaxation for about 20 minutes.
- shaping – With out breaking the pores and skin, tighten the ball additional. Place it seam aspect UP within the properly floured brotform. Sprinkle some bran evenly excessive of the bread. Loosely wrap the formed loaf with a clear tea towel and enclose the entire thing inside a plastic bag and depart it within the oven with solely the sunshine turned on for Three or four hours (till it has about doubled and there are bubbles). Please observe that Vivian Howard shapes her bread into rounds with holes within the middle:
Form [the dough] right into a spherical. Let [it] relaxation for 10 minutes. […]Line [a baking sheet] with parchment and mud with flour. Stick your finger via the middle of [the dough ball]. […] Stretch it barely to type a bit of gap. Switch that dough spherical to the baking sheet and proceed to rigorously stretch the middle right into a Three-inch gap. Your bread spherical at this level will appear to be an enormous flat doughnut.” – Vivian Howard, Deep Run Roots, Chapter 14: Candy Potato | Candy Potato Onion Bread
- baking – To know when it’s time to bake, run your index finger underneath water and gently however firmly press it on the aspect of the bread. If the dough springs again instantly, get well the bread with the plastic bag and depart it within the oven with solely the sunshine turned on. If the dough steadily returns again after being pressed, for the spherical loaf, put a Dutch Oven or Bread Cloche into the oven and preheat to 450F.
- When the oven is preheated about 45 minutes later, put a bit of parchment paper on the counter. Overturn the formed bread onto the parchment paper (the bran coated half will now be on the underside). Utilizing a lame (or scissors, or serrated knife), rating the bread.
- Take the cloche or Dutch Oven out of the oven (put on oven mitts!!) and place it on a heavy towel or pot holder (to stop burning your countertop or damaging the cloche as a consequence of excessive temperature modifications…). Switch the bread to the bottom of the cloche or Dutch Oven and instantly put the lid on. Place the whole lot into the oven on the center rack. Bake for 40-50 minutes, eradicating the lid after 25-30 minutes. The bread is completed when the crust is a deep golden brown and the bread sounds hole when tapped on the underside.
- cooling – When the bread has completed baking, take away it from the pot and permit it to chill on a footed rack earlier than slicing and consuming; the bread continues to be cooking internally when first faraway from the oven! In the event you want to serve heat bread (in fact you do), reheat it after it has cooled utterly: To reheat any uncut bread, flip the oven to 400F for five minutes or so. Flip the oven OFF. Put the bread into the recent oven for about ten minutes. It will rejuvenate the crust and heat the crumb completely.
:: leavener: Vivian Howard’s recipe for Candy Potato Onion Bread requires lively dry yeast. On the opening of the recipe, she wrote, “Kim Adams, our pastry chef, who’s been with us since day one, had no expertise making bread and neither did I. We got down to grasp a minimum of one type of loaf, and we did.” However I actually needed to make use of our starter that has been creating such magnificent bread for us since July 2017. It’s 100% hydration and takes about 5 days to create. (Please see our tackle Jane Mason’s Pure Starter made with Wheat Flour.)
:: why hand mixing? These directions, as traditional, don’t point out utilizing an electrical mixer: I don’t have one; I don’t know methods to use one. However in fact, if you wish to use your electrical mixer for mixing and kneading, you need to achieve this.
:: brotform: When you should not have a brotform, or banneton, also called a proofing basket, you should use Jim Lahey’s technique for proofing the formed loaf: he coats a parchment coated cookie sheet with bran, than shapes his loaf right into a ball and locations it seam aspect down onto the bran. He scatters a bit of extra bran on prime earlier than overlaying the formed loaf loosely with a clear tea towel. He lets it sit at room temperature that means till it has virtually doubled in measurement. Or, you should use Vivian Howard’s concept to put the bread on a flour coated parchment papered cookie sheet.
:: cooking container: When you have a ceramic or Forged Iron Dutch Oven or a cast-iron combo cooker, use that. However should you don’t, you should use your cast-iron pan and canopy the bread with an overturned chrome steel mixing bowl for the primary half of baking. The dome creates a steam chamber that encourages oven spring.
:: oven temperature and baking occasions: Howard suggests preheating the oven to 450F and baking for a complete of about minutes at 450F. Due to the presence of honey and candy potato, and worry of scorching, I lowered the oven temperature. Cathy’s notes – I stored the temperature at 450F. the entire time.
Info and Instruments
» Tasting Desk: Flour Information – Every thing it’s worthwhile to find out about forms of flour
» Gourmand Sleuth: Cooking Conversions Calculator
» Splendid Desk, Vivian Howard: Vivian’s Candy Potato Knowledge
» Google Books: Deep Run Roots, Chapter 14: Candy Potato | Roasted Candy Potatoes in Their Jackets by Vivian Howard
» Cathy, Bread Expertise: Dutch Oven Sourdough Candy Potato Crunch Bread
Would you wish to make Elbow Licking-good bread with us this month and get your very personal Buddy Badge?
Take a look at Elizabeth’s submit for info on how one can take part within the month-to-month bake.
New recipes are posted each month on the 16th. Take a look at our Fb group to see the members’ baking outcomes throughout that point.
All the Babes have their very own interpretation of this bread so please take a look at their posts for extra inspiration:
Completely happy Baking!
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = \”//join.fb.internet/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&model=v2.eight&appId=106459652784574\”;
(doc, \’script\’, \’facebook-jssdk\’));
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.0”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));